Baby on Board!

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Old Wives Tales for Baby #2!

Just like I did with Ethan the first time around, I thought it would be fun to re-visit some old wives tales to predict the gender of Baby #2!

1.) How Low Can You Go: the tale goes if you're carrying high, it's a girl. If you're carrying low, it's a boy. I think I'm carrying low...BOY.

2.) Be Still My Heart: if the heart rate is under 140 bpm, expect a boy. If it's above, break out the pink. Our last two appointments the heart rates have been 170 bpm and 165 bpm...GIRL. (Although Kristen said her heart rates were always around 165 bpm and she had a boy) =)

3.) Lefty or Righty?: the theory goes if you prefer to lay on your left side, it's a boy. If you tend to prefer the right, it's a girl. I sleep on the right side of the bed because it's closest to the bathroom. I also sleep on my right side because my sciatic nerve has been present since pregnant and I can't lay on my left side for longer than 15-20 minutes...GIRL.

4.) Mayan Calendar: The Mayan calendar predicts the sex based on the age of mommy at conception and the year your baby was conceived. If both numbers are even or odd, it's a girl. If one is even and one is odd, it's a boy. Age at conception: 30 Year baby was conceived: 2013...BOY.

5.) Baking Soda Experiment: legend has it if you mix your pee with baking soda, the reaction will predict the gender of you baby. If it fizzles, it's a boy. If there's no reaction, it's a girl...GIRL.

6.) Chinese Calendar: The Chinese Calendar bases their calculation on the mother's age at conception and the month of conception. We are actually right on the line between boy and girl. When I first called the doctor after taking a home pregnancy test, they use the date of your last period to determine how far along you are. When I use that date (in Sept.), along with my age at conception (30), the calendar predicts BOY. However, during our first ultrasound they measured the baby and 'calculated' I was one week earlier than previously thought. So if I use October as the month of conception along with my age, then it's a GIRL. Since it's on the fence, I'll use the method using my official due date and go with the doctors...GIRL.

7.) Sweet Tooth?: the tale says if you are craving sweets, it's a girl. If you crave salty and sour, it's a boy. I haven't had too many true cravings, but I would say I'm leaning more towards sweets...GIRL.

8.) Morning Sickness: we've all heard that if you struggle with morning sickness through your first trimester, expect pink bows! If you make it through the first trimester without feeling nauseous, it's a boy. This one is shouting GIRL.

9.) Body Clues: legend says if pregnancy hasn't exactly given you that "glow" you dreamed of and you have things like acne, then it's a girl (because she's stealing your good looks). If you have certain things like dry hands and cold feet, then it's a boy. Maybe it's just because it's winter, but I have two pairs of socks on daily! =) ...BOY.

Total Tally:
BOY - 3
GIRL - 6

Only a couple more weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment