Baby on Board!

Thursday, September 13, 2012

My New Life!

I can't believe Ethan is going to be three weeks old tomorrow! Part of me feels like he was just born and the other part of me feels like we've had him for so much longer than 21 days! We had a doctors appointment on Monday and received the good news that he's still putting on weight - he's up to 5.96, so just shy of his birth weight of 5 lbs. 10 oz. Prior to his appointment, we were having a string of bad nights...he just didn't want to sleep! I knew from reading that babies can't distinguish between day/night yet - and our little man was proving to be a night owl. We're talking being awake from 9pm-5am - yowzers. I don't know what magic occurred after the appointment, but kid you not he's slept through the night every night since. Eric and I have been able to sleep from 11:30-7, 12-8, and 11:30-5. Such a blessing!! 

My days with Ethan consist of feeding, sleeping, getting to know each other better, and waiting for daddy to get home from work =) Ethan usually takes a long nap in the morning where I'm able to either go back to bed or take a shower. We've definitely learned one thing about Ethan - he LOVES to be cuddled and surrounded by as many blankets as possible when sleeping. And right now, the only place he'll sleep is his car seat. So don't judge by the picture, but this is our new set-up. Him sleeping in his car seat in the crib (mostly because that's where the video monitor is). But, hey if this is producing all-night sleep sessions then I'm okay with it!! I've left the house a couple times this week to gain some confidence under my belt! Ya'll would laugh if you had a hidden camera on me though - I literally stopped and checked on him FOUR times the other day while I was driving...and we were only out for about 35 minutes, haha! I can't help it! 

I started pumping this week which will turn out to be a huge benefit in the long run. My goal with pumping is to have enough to take care of one or two feedings a day to give myself a break. Eric fed him his first bottle the other night while I went to bed early and it was a huge success. I'm hoping to build up a supply so others can feed him and also to "free" me a little and give me the opportunity to be away from him for a longer period of time (i.e. actually go to dinner with my sweet husband to celebrate our anniversary and not be worried about feeding Ethan)! 

We gave Ethan his first bath this week! I've been looking forward to this since he was born - probably because of the all the adorable hooded towels I got at my showers! =) Needless to say, he wasn't too pleased with the bath - but, boy was he cute and smell good afterwards! We're trying to do a better job of taking pictures, but honestly all he does is sleep and eat! If anything, we need to record a video of him sleeping. He makes the most adorable sounds while he's sleeping - anywhere from cooing, to little whimpers, to full out snoring! 



I stopped by the hospital today to drop off some thank you cards to the nurses that took such good care of us. Not gonna lie, the trip was pulling on my heart strings! Just remembering that only three short weeks ago, we were there and met our little guy for the first time. It will always be such a special place now =) We still talk about how amazing creating a child is. We honestly feel so lucky - and also feel blessed that we're able to provide Ethan with a stable, loving, protective life. 

 I'm hoping to schedule some newborn pictures here in the next couple days. Jeffrey, Kristen, and Jayden are coming down this weekend for the IU game so we can't wait to spend time with them. Kristen and I are determined to take a picture of the two kiddos in matching onesies (the first of many, I'm sure)! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment